Saturday, January 18, 2014

On making a pitch

I subscribe to a blog called Venkat's Expressions and came across his post on Pitching. While a good post, given that I have seen a few pitches and hold some views on them I thought I would add to his post (which is here http://carvk.com/2014/01/17/10-factors-for-a-perfect-pitch/).

Overall Venkat's list does indeed capture most of the key aspects of a Pitch. I would be surprised however if folks said all that in 3 minutes never mind in a 1 minute elevator pitch - or if folks could understand it if they did. ;)
You should choose elements from and/or tailor the list for 1 min, 3 min and 10 min pitches.
In my view, the list is missing three key elements - delivery, ability to handle questions, audience.

When I say delivery I mean how you are dressed, body language, enunciation etc. Some steps to take in this regard are first to practice in front of a mirror and then to pitch to friends. Practice does make perfect.
To handle questions well you need to dream up questions (ask people you think are not very smart to ask you questions) and find good answers to them (not-so-smart people should be able to understand them). Not saying investors or clients or potential partners are not smart - just that by working hard at it you will find good, simple, direct answers to important questions ("stupid" people sometimes ask the best questions!).
Audience - pitches are not just to investors but also to potential partners and customers. Tailor your pitch accordingly.

One of my shortest posts so far!

Been meaning to post a longer, more personal blog for a few weeks now. Working up the courage (it will show my vulnerabilities) to do so but will do it so long as I think it may help others in similar situations. That is the wonderful thing about doing things for pure reasons - you do not have the same "I must impress people" concerns, only, whether a message may be of use or not!

Stay well. Stay true.
Vishnu.

No comments:

Post a Comment